Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lesson #37

Lesson #37 - You pile on your own pressure.

I got to spend time with my dad yesterday. Just him and me. It's rare, because of where we both live and the time we get to visit. I love those times! Even if it's a trip to the appliance store and Home Depot, like yesterday, it's treasured time.

I was lamenting the fact that I feel, yet again, overwhelmed. Too much to do, too little time and energy to do it. That's when my dad gently reminded me that we tend to pile on our own pressures. We have a habit of thinking that we need to do more, all of the time, to make our lives better. Could it be, in fact, that by doing less we're doing more for ourselves?

It's that precarious balance between doing what you need to do with what you want to do. Sometimes the things we need to do outweigh the things we want to do ten to one, but it always seems like it's then that I add more things I want to do. Trying to compensate, I guess.

I pile on my own pressures to the point of overflowing. I've got to stop doing that. Thanks for helping me see that, Dad.

I love you!

No comments: