Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lesson #34

Lesson #34 - Gag gifts are the best.

First let me start with the disclaimer that I don't want this post to be misinterpreted. I love real presents, but boy, is it fun to laugh.

This trait for finding the humor in gag gifts runs strong and deep in my family tree. A prime example of this was for my father's birthday a few weeks ago. Unbenownest to me, my mother and I were plotting for the very same purpose. Her gift to him? A helmet and Speed Racer t-shirt poking fun at his obsession, er, enjoyment of the Wii. Our present? A Wii survival pack...picked out by the boys and I on a shopping trip. There were Wasabi Cashews for energy (because, as the boys said, "Poppop, likes his nuts hot."), a box of tissues to wipe his tears when Mommom beat him, a personal fan to cool himself down, a water bottle cooler to keep his beverages cold, and band aids for his blisters.

Then there was the Christmas that my oldest niece (my brother's daughter) gave us all fake lottery tickets. Yeah. Funny kid. Let's just say, we were a bit upset...impressed with her sick sense of humor, but disappointed nonetheless. I'm still trying to figure out how to get her back.

Then there was the Christmas my kids got my brother bright orange underwear. Slightly disturbing, but they howl with laughter every time they think about it. Sick kids.

So, to both of my parents, who so firmly implanted this genetic need to give wacky gifts, thanks. Because truly, those are the ones we still laugh about and bring up time and time again.

I love you both!

1 comment:

yolanda said...

brilliant! and i totally agree with him. gag presents require a lot of thought, and for most people, the thought is what counts.

what a lovely blog!

yolanda

http://thestufflifesmadeof.blogspot.com/