Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lesson #14

Lesson #14: If you want things to change you have to get involved.

When I was in high school my dad ran for supervisor of our township. He won and became a member of an elite group of governing members. As a daughter, it was kind of cool to have my dad be a Supervisor. His photo still hangs in the township building alongside other former and current members of the board.

And now that he lives on a small (and I do mean small) island in the middle of the Carribbean you'd think he'd be kicking back. Well, not quite. Now he's on the board of the civic association. He's involved again.

The lesson in this comes from what happens when my dad gets involved in things. He changes them...and for the better. What others say can't be done, he does. What others say there's not enough money for, he finds a way to fund. What others complain about, he just gets it done. He's taught us that if we want things to change, we have to try to change them ourselves. And that's a powerful lesson. Thanks, Dad!

I love you!!

No comments: