Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lesson #3

Lesson #3: If You Don't Have Anything To Say, Stop Talking

My dad is not a big phone talker. He tends to only answer when my mom is out or indisposed of...and you can hear the "oh crap, I have to answer the phone" feeling in his voice. I don't blame him. I'm not really fond of the phone either (unless I'm talking to my mom...then I can blab for hours - poor mom). And it's not anything personal (at least I hope not!), he just doesn't like talking on the phone.

So, when we do have one of our phone conversations it will last a few minutes until he says, "Okay, I'm out of things to say." And that will be it. If you don't have anything left to say, stop talking.

That's a great lesson to apply to all aspects of social interaction. Co-workers, family, friends...sometimes we all tend to talk TOO much. And too much talk is not all it's cracked up to be. How many times have I said something I probably shouldn't have said and regretted it the moment it came out of my mouth.

And that's all I have to say about that.

I love you, Dad!

No comments: