Monday, June 16, 2008

Lesson #2

Lesson #2: "Stop laughing!"

This one dates back to when I was, oh, maybe 12. We were sitting in a Mexican restaurant on vacation/work in California and I was just...happy. For no reason other than being together, having a good time, etc., etc. So, I started to laugh. Giggle really. In a 12 year old girl sort of way. Slightly annoying I know now, but it was a giggle of just pure happiness.

"Stop laughing! Nothing's funny! Just stop laughing!"

Aw, Dad. You got so upset and I just couldn't help myself. The angrier you got the funnier I thought it was that you were mad that I was laughing. So, I just couldn't stop. Even thinking about it now makes me snort trying to hold back laughter.

Boy, did my dad get mad. And STAY mad! The entire flight home from California to Pennsylvania was made in stony silence the next day. Even that was funny, but heaven knows I didn't want to start laughing again.

Okay, so what's the lesson? The lesson is that it's the little things that make the memories that last. It's those moments that you don't plan, can't plan, and probably wouldn't want to plan that shape the fabric of a family. And it's a good memory. It's a funny one and it's one that reminds me that it's those little moments that matter. Thanks for that, Dad.

I love you.

No comments: